CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Haman Shea Butter

I'm currently reading through the Old Testament (slowly making my way through the entire Bible), and now I'm in the book of Esther. I'm really liking the Bible that I'm reading from, it's the Life Application Study Bible in the NKJV (New King James Version). Anyway, last night I read chapter 5, and for verses 9-12, there was an interesting point made in the footnotes at the bottom of the page (part of the awesomeness of this study bible- it has little footnotes that help connect what you're reading to different aspects of your life today! I LOVE it!). Basically, these verses deal with Haman's inability to get over the fact that Mordecai won't bow down to him and basically didn't treat him like a god. His pride caused him to hate and be bitter towards Mordecai, who was directly disobeying a decree by the king saying Haman was the king's second in command, and should be treated as such (which Mordecai wouldn't do, because he only bowed down to one person of authority- God). Anyway, Haman hated Mordecai so much that he let that hatred affect his life, and his emotions. This was the footnote at the bottom of the page for verse 9:

"Hatred and bitterness are like weeds with long roots that grow in the heart and corrupt all of life. Haman was so consumed with hatred toward Mordecai that he could not even enjoy the honor of being invited to Esther's party. Hebrews 12:15 warns us to watch out "lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble." Dont' let hatred and its resulting bitterness build in your heart. Like Haman, you will find it backfiring against you... If the mere mention of someone's name provokes you to anger, confess your bitterness as sin. Ignoring bitterness, hiding it from others, or making superficial changes in behavior is not enough. If bitterness isn't completely removed, it will grow back, making matters worse."

The reason why I italicized "If the mere mention of someone's name provokes you to anger" is because I felt that spoke directly to me. For those who know me on more of a personal level, I haven't had much luck with guys, save for one who's now my closest guy friend. After every failed encounter with a guy of interest, I would harbor some hard feelings against these guys, and it would take awhile for those feelings to go away. Every time I saw them, thought of them, or heard anything about them, up would pop those feelings of hurt, anger, and betrayal. Thankfully, I no longer feel this way towards any of those guys thanks to praying to Heavenly Father and allowing Him to help me to fully forgive them and let them go. Anyway, reading this brought those experiences to mind, and I thought of how at some point in our lives, we've all probably felt and acted like Haman. But, as written in the above footnote, we shouldn't let those types of feelings affect our lives so much that we can't enjoy even the happier times in our lives. If we admit that we have these feelings and pray to our Heavenly Father to help us overcome these feelings and move on, I believe that our lives will improve. I know mine has, at least in the emotional department :)

Now, onto something that is not related to the above topic at all- shea butter. 100% Pure, raw, gold African Shea Butter Cream, to be exact. My hair LOVES this stuff. I don't melt it or anything before I put it in my hair, I just take the raw shea butter and rub it together in my hands before applying it to my hair. Actually, when I first bought it, I learned the hard way to not try and melt a medium sized container of shea butter. I did that, and tried to mix some oils in it (mainly extra virgin olive oil, and I believe vanilla essential oil to tone down the raw smell of the shea butter)... I don't think it had much of an effect on it. Which is fine with me, because my hair still loves the stuff. I used it in my hair on Monday after I washed and deep conditioned it (since I didn't do it on Saturday- shame on me lol); it was a sealant over the Kimmaytube leave-in and the eco-custard that I had made... My hair was SUPER soft (I applied it to partially damp/partially towel dried (i forgot my t-shirt before I got in the shower, but my hair was already wet and I was not dripping water all over the place haha) hair), and it was still soft after my hair completely dried! Yeah, when I first applied it, my hair turned a yellowish/ashy color (the color of the shea butter), but it wasn't long before my hair soaked it in, the color disappeared, and was replaced with shiny and soft curls/coils! I've used the shea butter plenty of times before and my hair loved it then, so I don't know why I stopped using it. But rest assured, I will be using it as a sealant after I wash and deep condition or just co-wash my hair (usually after I go to the gym on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays). Now I just have to figure out how to work shea butter into some kind of moisturizing spritz for when I get braids...

Oh, and in case it was hard to figure out, my blog title is a play on words. Haman Shea Butter could also be read as Ham an' Shea Butter, just without the d. If it didn't make sense, I apologize.

Later, gators, and have a good rest of the week! ^_^

0 comments:

Post a Comment