CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday 21 May 2010

Rain and Review



There's something comforting about a good book and hot chocolate on a rainy night like tonight...I wish I had a screened in porch to sit out on and read, because the sound of the rain was soothing. That being said, Wuthering Heights is a frustrating book. Don't get me wrong, I like the story- but Heathcliff and his son just irritate the mess out of me! I liked Heathcliff in the beginning- even felt bad for him because Catherine (who at the beginning of the book I felt was a bit shallow and selfish) married Edgar instead of him simply because Edgar had money and he didn't; still, I don't think that gives him enough of an excuse to want to cause Catherine's daughter so much pain by degrading her in the way that he is. And Linton- don't even get me started on him. I agree with Ellen, how can someone who depended so much on Cathy to bring him joy and sanity while he stayed at Wuthering Heights, someone who looked past his complaints and sufferings to make him happy because she hated to see him sad and depressed, just flip the coin on her after they're married?! He turned right into his father, and it's a sad sight to see. They both have gone from sad pitiful people to cruel heartless ones. I'm not done with the book yet, but I'm nearing the end of it... But I don't feel bad for the Heathcliffs, I feel bad for
Cathy because she's being put through so much hell because of Heathcliff's hatred for her father. In a way, this just shows that Heathcliff is not all that mature, and is throwing a twisted sort of adult tantrum. As depressing as it is, I hope he dies. And I hope Linton dies too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment